Thursday, October 2, 2008

bibbity bobbity boo

If I had the magical power to change anything in the world, what would I do with it? If my magic wand could disperse its powers at the flick of my wrist but one time only and for one thing, what would I choose to do?

I would reinstate the value of family in our society. When did grandparents start to be the ones raising our children? What happened in that first generation of parents who decided it was not their responsibility to raise thoughtful, involved citizens? Seriously...what happened?

In my experience working with individuals, organizations and communities as well as in my research as a graduate student the main concern I have found is the loss of the family. Grandparents are raising children. Fathers are simply making sperm donations, mothers are incubators for 9 months and then their parents and society are left to take care of their children.

From speaking with many different people, it seems that it has been two generations of parents that have participated in these patterns. So, it is not just this generation of parents but their parents that started this trend. Why did this happen? Was it selfishness on the part of the new parents? Did their parents spoil them to believe that they can do whatever they want without regard to their responsibility as human beings and thoughtful citizens? What was it? I really want to know!

Regardless of why this happened, it happened. Now that we are in this conundrum, what do we do about it? How do we bring the family back to the center of our focus? How do we educate future generations about the importance of being an active parent in their child's life instead of just in the background?

These children that have been left without a strong support system have to deal with so much more than they should ever be expected to do. Some 12 year old kids are encouraged to do whatever they can, not excluding selling drugs and stealing, to help Mom pay the bills. Some 14 and 15 year old youth are craving structure that they are not getting at home so they find it in gangs and others are searching for love and end up pregnant.

So if I had a magic wand made from the feather of a phoenix and I could change one thing, I would bring family back to the center of society while bringing the responsibility of raising the child back to the parents.

This is not to say that there are not millions of productive, wonderful families in this country and world. I am encouraged by so many families I see who remain true to their values and raise wonderful, engaged children. Let these parents and families serve as examples to those who are struggling. As we all know, there is no magic wand and so it is up to us to do what we can to bring the meaning of family and parenthood back into focus for so many who are lost.

What would you do if you had the magic touch to change something in the world?

4 comments:

Laurel said...

AMEN!
...and thanks to you and your keen sensitivity to this issue, I've been given a new set of eyes about this issue. I now see these situations filled with petty crime and misbehavior due to no direction or guidance so differnetly and with a heavy heart.

This seems so silly, but is heavy on my heart at the moment...my magic wand would do away with bullies in schools and children claiming to be "friendless". This absolutely breaks my heart.

Janie said...

AMEN to you and AMEN to L's comment. During my years on the school scene I saw increasing numbers of both of these problems....devastating!!!!

If I had a magic wand, I would eradicate RA.

Laura Mielke said...

Excellent post.

Well since you are taking care of families, and Laurel is taking care of bullies, I will wave my wand and make the Earth new again (not like God will, gosh that sounded so self righteous!) I mean I would wipe away all of the manmade damage we have caused on the Earth...

Searcy Yoder said...

I would make everyone have a reason to smile. Not just make everyone smile, but have that reason that makes them smile on their own. (see, that is kind of two birds with one stone.)