
Since the very moment Barack Obama was declared the winner of the election, I have been trying to think of what to post. I find it impossible to put into words the emotions that consume me and even if I could, there is no way I could do it justice. The best way for me to chronicle this moment in my life is to write about that fateful night, what I was doing, what I was thinking and what I was feeling.
My Mom came up to Nashville on Monday because she wanted to watch the election results with me and L. We spent Tuesday grocery shopping and hanging out around the house until I went to babysit.
The plan was to babysit from 3-5 pm so that Vanessa could get some work done. At 4:15, she came downstairs and said, "What was I thinking? There is no way I can get any work done. I am too nervous and excited." The future of our country was being decided, how in the world could anyone concentrate on anything else?
Upon returning home, I took my place on the couch where I would witness history take place. We turned the TV on long before we would know anything about the election and I quickly became annoyed with the whole system.
The pundits would call a state for one candidate when 1% of the votes were in. How can they really do this? Didn't they learn from previous mistakes when they named winners before all the votes were in? Political pundits are a boil on the butt of humanity (gold stars for anyone who can name that quote) because, just like other media outlets, they make the news they want to make. That is a soap box I am happy to get on but not right now. I need to focus on the real story.
As the results started rolling in, we were getting excited yet remaining cautious. Could this really be happening? Our country has been on the wrong track for 8 years because people voted for someone they would like to have a beer with; would they vote the same way? The younger generation has been characterized by apathy and laziness; could we prove everyone wrong?
Americans showed up in record numbers and voted for change. I remember sitting on the couch, talking to Mom and L when someone pointed out the message on the screen. When I looked at the TV, it read, "Breaking News: Barack Obama elected President." At that moment, I wept. Overwhelmed with emotions, the hope, love, relief and excitement I felt came out uncontrollably through my tears. At that moment, when those words flashed on the screen, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.
We continued to watch the news as we waited for the concession and acceptance speeches. McCain's speech was very well done but what I noticed most was that he was speaking to a crowd of old white people. His speech was made from a very high-end hotel to a crowd of people that all looked the same. We were then shown the crowd in Chicago filled with white, black, latino, asian, old and young people. When Barack Obama came onto stage, Mom and L jumped to their feet, clapping and I was simply awe-struck. The entire event was perfect---his speech, the crowd, the emotions, his family---perfect.
On November 4, the man who can change the world was given the chance. Because he will be our President, my children will be born in a country where there are not limits to what they, or any child, can do. For the first time in a long time, I am hopeful.
I am so thankful the American people made the right decision. Our country needed change and we used our right to vote to bring that change to fruition.
Barack Obama has inspired our country and ignited the spirit of the American people. This is the hardest job in the world, quite literally, and he took it on. After his speech in 2004 at the DNC, I read his book and was taken with him. I knew that he would do something great for our country and now he has the chance.
3 comments:
great post!
and it's true, you called this day from the moment he finished his speech at the DNC in 2004.
I know we'll be glad we captured these emotions and feelings when we look back on this historic feat!
Well done. I, too, think it is very important the record our feelings and emotions on this historic day. I didn't want to be anywhere else than with you and L on this day and I'm so glad I could experience it with you.
I cannot wait to raise children and live in this country under the leadership of Barack
Post a Comment